Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2021

The Tiny Little Owl - Felt Pattern & Tutorial

 

Warning: picture-heavy post.

I was just browsing on Etsy few nights ago when I found some tiny felt decorations products used to décor miniature house. Suddenly I was reminded of some dolls which photos I want to take in the future. I didn’t have any concept for the photoshoot yet, so I was thinking: how about making some decorations to help brighten it a little bit? Make it look like, probably, a forest?

My drawing pen was away from me, I couldn’t find my drawing book, so then I proceeded by drawing it using a green marker on my desk.

I didn’t want to waste my time so I didn’t even try to create the pattern on a paper. I just went straight cutting it on the felt fabric by following the drawing on my desk.

Actually, I was only going to take photos for my Instagram feed. But why don’t I write the tutorial and make the digital pattern as well?

So, here I am: with a tutorial and a pattern you can just download and print it in however size you want. There is no need to completely follow the tutorial. 




They look a little bit different with the drawing, doesn’t it?

Mine is only around 2 cm tall. So, if you want to create as tiny as mine, arrange the pattern size above in MS Word or whichever program you can use before you print it.

Materials you need:

1. Felt fabric:

  • cream
  • golden brown
  • white
  • black

2. Sewing thread because I don’t have embroidery thread. Sewing thread are usually thinner than embroidery thread so you need more than one strand if you want to embroider using sewing thread.
3. Embroidery scissors because the pieces you are going to cut are tiny, tiny
4. Fabric glue to help you stabilize some pieces on the main fabric.
5. Poly-fil.

 

And these are the steps how to make the tiny owl felt ornament:

Put Applique Left and Applique Right pieces on top of the body by using fabric glue to help stabilizing the pieces. Use applique stitch with one strand of thread to sew them.

Continue using the same technique to sew the white eyes pieces.

Decorate the Applique Right and Applique Left. You can decorate with however pattern you like. Because the pieces are tiny, I was only able to create simple decoration with backstitches and five French knots on each side.

Use four strands of white thread to create the “twig”, use another four strands of red thread to create the flowers.

Create the beak by using two strands of yellow thread. Use straight stitch the create the outline of the triangle and fill it with satin stitch.

Create eyelashes using straight stitch with one strand of black thread.

Sew the body using blanket stitch with one strand of cream thread. Stuff it with poly-fil and sew shut. 

And then you are done!

The doll is just so tiny, tiny. I mean look at the comparison between the doll with my hand and my other doll.



It was fun to sew such a tiny doll like this, even though I have to admit it was also kind of difficult. I think I will try to make another tiny dolls like this.

1 comment:

say anything but please be respectful